In 2020, the Serendipity Arts Foundation and Les Rencontres d’Arles announced the biggest lens-based media grant, supported by the Institut français en Inde, with the shared purpose of promoting cultural practices in the South Asian region. The winner of the previous grant, Sathish Kumar, was awarded the grant to develop and showcase his proposed project, Town Boy at Les Rencontres d’Arles in July 2022.
We are now open to receive applications for the second edition of the Serendipity Arles Grant 2023-24, inviting project proposals from South Asia, stemming from photography, video, new media and other lens based explorations. The initiative seeks not only to empower artists from the region, but also further a spirit of regional cooperation and representation.
The terms and deliverables of the Serendipity Arles Grant have changed from the previous edition. Please read through the information below carefully.
March 25, 2023 at 11:59 pm IST
Phase I would select 5 shortlisted projects awarding INR 70,000/- (€800 approx.)* each as a production Grant, to showcase their proposed projects as a work in progress display at the sixth edition of Serendipity Arts Festival 2023.
Each shortlisted artist shall send in their works with a complete installation plan/brief for SAF 2023. SAF to cover transport of art works to Goa. In case of physical artworks, SAF recommends sending exhibition prints which will be destroyed after the showcase in Goa. In case the works are required to be returned, the artist is responsible for its return from Goa.
The Jury present at the Festival will choose one out of the five shortlisted projects as the winner marking Phase II of the grant.
*The grant is subject to tax deductions are per tax laws & implications of various countries eligible as part of the Grant.
Phase II would award the selected winner a total of €15,000 and an opportunity to display a solo presentation at Les Rencontres d’Arles in July 2024. From the total Grant amount €9500 to be given to the artist to develop the grant project; €5500 extended to support the production, logistics and accommodation costs for final display at Les Rencontres d’Arles in July 2024.
Deliverables to the winner:
- €9500/- Project Development Grant
- Air Tickets to Arles and back – upto €1200 (to be booked within stipulated timelines by the Institutions involved)
- Visa Facilitation Fee
- €5000 – Production Support (to be disbursed by Rencontres d’Arles on behalf of the Artist) Additionally, any expenses to produce the work over and above of the production grant will be borne by the artist including tax deductions.
- €500 – Accommodation Costs (to be disbursed by Rencontres d’Arles on behalf of the Artist)
1. Submissions are open to all lens-based South Asian practitioners from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan & Sri Lanka.
2. Submissions are open to projects produced by individual artists or artist collectives.
3. Applicants must be residents of countries mentioned in point 1, who have been practicing for 5 to 10 years.
4. Age – 30 years and above (as of Open Call date – 30th January)
5. The call is open to projects in progress. Applicants must submit supporting documents to outline the progress.
6. The proposed project should not have been shown in any form; in whole or in part, before the submission for the Grant.
7. Applicants who have received a grant in the past 1 year for the same proposed project, from the date of announcement of the Serendipity Arles Grant are ineligible to apply.
8. In case the applicant is currently at a residency, or would be part of a residency between September to December 2023, the application would be ineligible.
Selection Process and Timeline
1. Last date of submission – March 25, 2023
2. Selections will be undertaken by the Jury appointed by Serendipity Arts & Rencontres d’Arles.
3. 5 selected projects will be included in the Serendipity Arts Festival in December 2023
4. In case the jury requires more information on the project, short interviews or calls would be lined up for the selection process.
5. The 5 selected artists will be informed by April 10 , 2023
6. 5 selected artists will be supported with a grant of INR 70,000/- (approximately EUR 800)*. This amount is inclusive of infrastructure, production & logistical support for their project exhibition at Serendipity Arts Festival 2023.
7. Serendipity Arts will provide 2 nights stay to the shortlisted Phase I artists during the Serendipity Arts Festival, in December 2023.
8. 5 selected artists will be responsible for their visa, local transportation and food in Goa during the Festival. Additionally, any expenses to produce the work over and above of the production grant will be borne by the artists including tax deductions.
9. The finalist of the Serendipity Arles Grant will be announced during Serendipity Arts Festival in December 2023, after the Jury selection on ground.
10. To finalise the project for the showcase at Rencontres d’Arles 2024, the final winner will have January to June 2024 to finalise production and execution details.
11. The finalist will exhibit at Rencontres d’Arles, France in 2024.
12. It is the responsibility of the recipient to determine their income tax liability as it relates to the grant award and to file appropriate tax forms. For photographers based in countries other than India, the grant body will get in touch with the recipient and determine the modalities for disbursing the grant.
* The grant amount will be based on the conversion rate at the time of awarding.
Terms & Conditions
1. The selected artists are required to share fund utilisation documents as and when required by Serendipity Arts & Rencontres d’Arles.
2. Any permissions required to produce work is the sole responsibility of the artist.
3. Project should be feasible in terms of costs and scale, and should meet the dates set in the proposed timeline by the artist.
4. The final decisions take into consideration the overall quality of each application in relation to all the others. Serendipity Arts and Rencontres d’Arles supports artists from diverse cultural, ethnic, and sexual backgrounds.
5. Serendipity Arts & Rencontres d’Arles does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexuality, or ability/disability of artists.
6. An incomplete or incorrect applications will automatically be disqualified. Please read the application guidelines carefully.
7. All applications are handled confidentially. Only the organisation and its members have permission to view the uploaded files. Your data will not be published and/or shared with other parties or artists during the application process.
8. The applicant must abide by the code of conduct policy.
9. The Jury’s decision as to whether a project has met all criteria is final and not subject to any appeal for reconsideration.
10. At the conclusion of the project, the finalist can donate an artwork to the collection of Rencontres d’Arles & Serendipity Arts, in case they wish to do so.